What not to do when you are breaking things off with someone over dinner because you have started seeing someone else exclusively:
1. Don't spend a good portion of dinner talking about babies and this couple you know who decided to get married after dating for a few weeks.
2. Don't engage in 'future' talk, ex: oh, 'we' should totally do (fill in the blank) sometime!
3. Don't suggest you go out for a drink after dinner. Get it over with at dinner.
4. If you can't manage to have 'the conversation' during dinner and insist on going out for drinks in order to take care of business, don't make your date pay for her drink just so you can dump her. Have a little class and pony up the $5 for the beer.
5. Don't order two beers before you finally get around to telling her.
6. Don't leave your backpack at her apartment. Do her the courtesy of taking it with you so she can leave your ass at the bar.
7. Don't tell her you really hope she'll still come to your party in a few weeks. She won't, and it's a little insulting.
8. Don't expect her to make you feel better about the fact that you just dumped her. That's both weird and pathetic.
9. Don't tell her how awesome she is as consolation. If you really thought she was that awesome, you probably wouldn't be dumping her. You'd be dumping the other girl.
10. Don't let all of the above take three hours to unfold. Breaking up is like ripping off a band aid-best get it over with quickly.